About the showWalt Disney's The Lion King opened in London in 2000 and continues to be one of the hottest tickets in town. Julie Taymor's epic production combines live action, puppetry and incredible sets to bring the classic film to life right in front of your eyes. A cast of colourful characters create the atmosphere of the African savannah, from the life sized elephant to the lovable, yet evil hyenas. Featuring a memorable score by song writing duo Elton John and Tim Rice, your hearts will be warmed by songs such as "The Circle of Life", "Can You Feel the Love Tonight" and "I Just Can't Wait to Be King".
Set in the African pride-lands, the show opens at the birth of Simba the Lion Cub to King Mufasa and Queen Sarabi. Mufasa's brother Scar is jealous of the newborn Prince and plots to get rid of him along with his brother to make him King of Pride Rock. As Simba grows older, he develops a relationship with Nala the lion cub and the two are drawn into one of Scar's plans. After Mufasa is killed in a Stampede, Scar advises Simba to run away and never return. It is up to his new friends Timon and Pumba, along with Nala to convince him to return and reclaim his kingdom.
This heart-warming story is brought to life in spectacular fashion by a talented cast and musicians who provide the fantastic atmosphere that will transport you to the heart of Africa.
Who Should See It?Disney's The Lion King is a must-see, West End favourite, suitable for the young and the young at heart. For those who have seen the 1994 film, and those coming to the show for the first time, the effect of seeing it live on stage is guaranteed to blow you away.
The Lion King is recommended 6+. Children under the age of 3 will not be admitted.
- Simba - the lion cub who grows throughout the show into an adult King. After being exiled by Scar, he is forced to return and reclaim his kingdom.
- Mufasa - Simba's wise father who brings him up and protects him as far as he can. He warns Simba of the dangers of life and teaches him about the circle of life.
- Scar - Simba's evil Uncle who kills Mufasa and plots to become King of Pride Rock. With his band of Hyenas he sings 'Be Prepared' and 'The Madness of King Scar'.
- Nala - Simba's childhood friend who grows up, finds Simba and falls in love with him. Together they sing 'Can You Feel the Love Tonight?'
- Rafiki - The baboon who introduces Simba to the world and helps him remember his true path in life. Sings 'The Circle of Life'.
- Timon - A wisecracking Meerkat who teaches Simba the philosophy of the jungle, 'Hakuna Matata' which means no worries.
- Pumba - Simba's flatulent warthog friend who teaches him how to survive off bugs and grubs.
AwardsTony Awards 1998 - Best Musical, Best Direction, Best Choreography, Best Scenic Design, Best Costume Design, Best Lighting Design.
Laurence Olivier Awards 1999 - Best Theatre Choreographer, Best Costume Design.
24th Sep 1999
1st Jun 2020
31st Dec 2020
2 hours 45 minutes (including an interval)
Recommended 6+. Children under 3 not permitted. Please be advised that children under the age of 16 may be refused entry if they are not sitting next to an accompanying adult.