About the showTheatre Show of the Year winner at the London Lifestyle Awards 2015, Roald Dahl's classic 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory' opened at the Theatre Royal Drury Lane in Summer 2013 and has been wowing audiences ever since.
From multi-award winning director Sam Mendes comes this brand new family musical which includes music and lyrics by Marc Shaiman and Scott Whittman, who are best known for their work on musicals such as Hairspray and Catch Me If You Can along with the TV show 'Smash'. Produced in collaboration between Warner Brothers and Neal Street Productions, this is a spectacular production that brings the world of giant gob-stoppers, chocolate rivers and Great Glass Elevators to life.
When eccentric inventor and factory owner Willy Wonka decides to throw open the doors to his factory for 5 lucky children, everyone all over the world begins to search for the elusive golden tickets. Young Charlie Bucket finds the final ticket and joins a collection of children that include some of the most spoilt and over-indulgent children possible. Accompanied by his Grandpa Joe, Charlie experiences Wonka's magic first hand, and as the other children fail to follow instructions, they meet their sticky end.
The show features an original score by Shaiman and Whittman and will feel much closer to the original book, rather than the two film adaptations. Award winning playwright David Grieg has written the book of the musical, and the show features choreography by Peter Darling and Scenic Design by Mark Thompson. Stage legend Alex Jennings plays the iconic role of Willy Wonka.
Who Should See It?Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is one of the biggest family musicals in the West End. With colourful songs, larger than life characters and amazing production values this show is set to dazzle audiences young and old. Children will enjoy seeing a familiar story live on stage and adults will appreciate the effects and scale of this exciting show.
The show is recommended for children 7+ as younger children may find some of the scenes a bit scary. Please note that children under 5 years old will not be admitted into the theatre and everyone will require their own ticket.
- Charlie Bucket - the plucky hero of the show who wins one of Willy Wonka's 'golden tickets' and visits the Chocolate Factory. His courage and determination shine against the other children and he quickly becomes Wonka's favourite.
- Grandpa Joe - Charlie's Grandfather who jumps out of bed for the first time in years to accompany his grandchild to Wonka's factory.
- Willy Wonka - the eccentric chocolate inventor who is responsible for creating some world famous confectionery creations.
- Veruca Salt - a spoilt girl who demands her father finds her a 'golden ticket' and meets her end due to aggressive squirrels.
- Violet Beauregarde - a record breaking gum-chewer who inflates and turns into a blueberry.
- Augustus Gloop - an obese gluttonous child who never stops eating.
- Mike Teavee - an aspiring gangster who spends his life watching television.