Last Minute Theatre Tickets
A great way of securing discount tickets is to get them on the day of the performance. Often, you are able to get amazing seats to some of London’s biggest shows. Day Seats, Returns, Lotteries and certain apps make it possible to get some brilliant bargains. Below we outline some of the most delectable deals in London:
Day seats are quickly becoming one of the most popular ways of getting great seats to a show. Each morning, the box office reserves a limited number of tickets to purchase on the morning of the performance. You can buy tickets from 10am and keen theatregoers can begin queueing from as early as 7am! Day seat tickets are typically in the front row of the theatre and can range between £15-25.
Returns and Rush Seats
Returns and rush seats are available as close as 2 hours before the performance is due to begin. Returns are tickets that have been refunded back to the box office if an audience member can no longer make it, whilst rush seats are unsold tickets that producers are willing to sell for a discounted price. These tickets are usually sold for much less than their original prices, but it is a bit of a lottery in terms of where you could be sitting!
Occasionally, productions offer a lottery that enables some lucky audience members to buy top price tickets for a ridiculously reduced price.
- The Book of Mormon – Enter their online lottery for the chance to buy two £20 tickets for front row seats! All you have to do is choose the days you are able to see the production, share with your twitter and facebook friends and wait for the winning email.
- Aladdin – Every day from 5pm, people gather outside the Prince Edward Theatre to enter their new lottery. All you need to do is fill out a form which is then placed in the giant golden tombola. If your name is picked, you have the option to purchase two front row tickets for £25 each.
Handy Tips for Success
- See shows during previews for reduced rate tickets
- Attend shows on matinees and weekdays to guarantee cheaper tickets
- Sit in restricted view seats
- Buy tickets way in advance to ensure you get the best offers
- Go to the Leicester Square TKTS booth on the day of the show for discount tickets
- Get the TodayTix app, which lets you win tickets and buy some for a cheaper price
- Enter the lotteries on a regular basis to double your chance of winning
- Always bring cash with you, in case the theatres do not accept card
- Always bring ID to secure discount 16-25 tickets
- Arrive very early to guarantee the best day seats – you can always go home and nap afterwards!
Have you ever bought a Day Seat? What time did you arrive at the Box Office? Did you get a good seat?
Use our comment section below to share your experiences with other audience members.