The Top 10 Stars of Wicked
Running for over 10 years on Broadway and 8 in the West End, Wicked is one of the most successful musicals of all time. Over the years, hundreds of actors have joined the cast, from established stars to up-and-coming artists eager to break into the business. Here is our list of Wicked’s Top 10 stars:
10. Alexia Khadime – Alexia Khadime joined the West End cast as Elphaba in 2009, becoming the first black actress to play the role. She got her big break playing Nala in The Lion King for four years starting in 2004. After leaving Wicked, she joined the cast of Les Miserables as Eponine, and she was part of the original London cast of The Book of Mormon where she is currently playing the lead female role of Nabulungi.
9. Miriam Margolyes – Miriam Margolyes originated the role of Madame Morrible in the West End before playing the role on Broadway. A veteran character actress, she is easily recognisable for her roles in Blackadder, Baz Luhrmann’s Romeo + Juliet, The Age of Innocence, and Harry Potter where she played professor Sprout.
8. Taye Diggs – Broadway and TV star Taye Diggs played Fiyero alongside his wife, Idina Menzel, whom he met when both were in the original cast of Rent. He appeared in both the film and Broadway production of Chicago, and his television appearances include Private Practice, Grey’s Anatomy, and Ally McBeal.
7. Joel Grey – Joel Grey originated the role of the Wizard on Broadway. He is most famous for his role as the Master of Ceremonies in Cabaret, winning an Oscar for his appearance in the film and a Tony for originating the role on Broadway. He recently played Moonface Martin in the Broadway revival of Anything Goes.
6. Megan Hilty – Megan Hilty made her Broadway debut as a standby for Glinda before taking over the role in 2005. She went on to star in the world premiere of 9 to 5 the Musical, before landing the starring role in hit TV show, Smash, which followed the behind-the-scenes drama of creating a new musical based on the life of Marilyn Monroe.
5. Kerry Ellis – Whilst serving as Martine McCutcheon’s standby in My Fair Lady, Kerry Ellis was plucked from obscurity by Brian May, who happened to attend a performance with Kerry in the leading role. He encouraged her to audition for We Will Rock You, and she ended up originating the role of Meat. She served as Idina Menzel’s standby before succeeding her as Elphaba in 2007. She went on to appear in Oliver! and on the BBC talent search show, Over the Rainbow as a mentor.
4. Louise Dearman- Louise became the first actress to play both witches in the show. In 2010 she joined the cast to play the role of Glinda alongside Rachel Tucker as Elphaba. Dearman then returned to the show in October 2012 but this time to replace co star Tucker in the role of Elphaba. Louise Dearman has also recorded three studio albums.
3. Rachel Tucker – Rachel Tucker played Elphaba for over 900 performances, making her the longest serving Elphaba ever. After placing fourth on the talent show I’d Do Anything, she won the role of Meat in We Will Rock You, before replacing Alexia Khadime in Wicked in 2010. She won great critical acclaim for her take on the not-so-wicked witch, and won a 2011 What’s On Stage Award for Best Takeover in a Role.
2. Kristen Chenoweth – After winning a Tony Award for her performance as Sally in You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown, Kristen Chenoweth landed the role of Glinda in the Broadway premiere of Wicked. Her additional Broadway appearances include The Apple Tree and Promises, Promises. She has had considerable television experience, including roles in Pushing Daisies, The West Wing, and Glee.
1. Idina Menzel – Perhaps unsurprisingly, Idina Menzel tops our list of Wicked stars, having originated the role of Elphaba on Broadway and in the West End, winning a Tony Award for her performance. She made her Broadway debut as the original Maureen in Rent, going on to make appearances in Aida, Hair, and The Wild Party. In addition to her ongoing solo concert appearances, she played Shelby Corcoran on Glee. Both she and Chenoweth are rumoured to be reprising their Wicked roles in the upcoming film adaptation.
Do you agree with our list of the top 10 Wicked stars? Did any of your favourites miss the cut?